Thursday, February 28, 2008

Update from Kristie, Thursday afternoon

As you know, last night was rough. He took medication to block some of the narcotics and it heated him up internally. He got really scared and his heart rate increased rapidly. Alarms went off and our room filled up with nurses and a doctor. What? No one brought balloons? I sat faithfully by his side and watched his numbers for oxygen and heart rate go up and down just monitoring to make sure they stayed within a safe range. Finally, about 3:00am or so I got the okay from the doc that he didn't have to be watched so fervently. Aaah, my humble pallet on the floor never felt so great.

Harry walked today!!! Twice in the hallway outside of his room. He's moving his knee better so getting up and down is more realistic and less painful...this is definitely progress where we come from.

He also is working on grasping things with his hand(s) as possible. We've even adapted plastic utensils so that they are thick enough for his swollen fingers. Since surgery his arm casts have been reduced and no longer go all the way up to his shoulders. With his elbows able to bend a whole new world has opened up. In a little while we'll test out our new "James Bond" gadgets!

We're gonna try hard to get some rest. Thanks again for the outpouring of concern and support. I'll write again when I feel good about trying to form sentences again.

1 comment:

Teresa Brueggen said...

Hi Harry and Kristie and family,

I just heard about your blog from
Aunt Sally. I am so sorry to hear
of your unfortunate accident.
I will definitely pray for all of your needs to be met.

Kristie, thank you so much for taking good care of Harry.
It means so much. We took care
of his Aunt Lorraine and even though is was hard at times,
I am so glad I was at her side to help her and protect her in the
hospital and rehab.

Harry, you have some of Aunt Lorraine's genes in you, so I know
you will be just fine. She broke
her leg in half a year and a half ago and with lots of her determination and hard work and head, tee,hee, she was walking again on her own.

She had a good spring and summer.

I will put yall on our church prayer list as well as pray for you everyday and ask Mom, Aunt Lorraine, to help you as much as she can also.

Let me know where I can send cards,
etc.

Love, Blessings, and Great Healing,
Teresa Brueggen
Harry's cousin