Tuesday, April 1, 2008

12:17 a.m. April 1st -- No April Fool's

12:17 am

Harry is doing well and I think his spirits are continuing to rise as his abilities increase. He was able to visit a job site (actually, the site where he fell) on Sunday after church. I think it was good for him to see his clients, Mr. and Mrs. Cook. They are a lovely couple and seem to really care about him and his recovery. He's been able to get out of the house some, too. When the pain eases and he feels pretty good he likes to fit as much in as he can but he still tries not to overdo. He's made that mistake before and he never feels good after he pushes too hard.

His therapy schedule right now is PT twice a week and OT twice a week. He's really, really sore afterward but then by the following day he's usually got more mobility and that makes him feel energetic.

We can tell when he's restless and just has to "get his hands" on something. He starts recruiting us....usually when we are right in the middle of something else. He's so funny. On Easter, while I was cooking and preparing for friends, he decided to make Turkish Delight. And by that I mean, he had McKenzie make it while he supervised from a small stool and occasionally moved, though way too slow in a bustling galley-style kitchen. We all got a few good laughs...including him. About 3/4 of the way through he admitted that perhaps he had been over zealous. But, ever-faithful, he finished his task. It was heartbreaking when, hours later, we finally got to taste the Turkish Delight....and nearly spit it out. It was AWFUL. We all decided that it was not his fault and if the recipe has called for a different flavor it would have been wonderful. And although we all agreed we should try it again using a different flavor, honestly, we probably never will. But, it did make us feel better to keep the recipe anyway.

I've been able to take on more hours tutoring and even working with a friend of mine who is also a business owner (but she really makes money at it:) ) Between homeschooling, planning our daughters upcoming ceremony, keeping the house, driving and caring for Harry I'm finding it a little difficult to find the time to work more.

My mother, Nan, is absolutely wonderful and is practically running Curves on her own. I help when I can and do what I can from home. Our members, though are asking when I'll come back and some are asking why I'm never there anymore. I feel badly and want to get back to see them. I love being in the circuit and training and helping them reach goals and feel empowered. The truth is I just have to bring in more money right now and that requires part-time work elsewhere in addition. Please pray that God will continue to provide creative job opportunities for me so I'll be able to continue to care for my family right now...and over this next year.

I want to thank everyone again. Cards, notes, phone calls and gifts keep trickling in and we are so grateful. Please keep praying-we've got a long way to go.

I'll end on a really happy note: Last Friday I received an invitation to a Girl's Night with some friends. It was a wild girl's night (at her mother's home) - not the kind that is conducive to deep philosophical discussions. (I usually love those but I just couldn't take another one) This was more like loud music and women being silly. Lots of laughing and really bad singing...to go along with the poor dancing. Anyway, I didn't expect to go just because so much needed to be done. But it worked out and I had a wonderful time. It was just what I needed. Honestly, it felt great that I had no one to take care of for a few hours.....no dishes, laundry, children struggling in reading, or a dear husband. Everyone was satisfied and I felt like Cinderella getting to go to the ball. So, thanks girls for the invite. Loved it! Thanks, McKenzie for sitting with Daddy so I could go. Love ya, son. And thanks, Harry for encouraging me to and have some well-deserved fun. What a great family!

No comments: