Friday, March 7, 2008

The Big Day

Today was the day we've been waiting for. HARRY CAME HOME!!! We borrowed a van from our sweet neighbors so Harry wouldn't have to jump up into our Suburban or bend too low to get into my Mom's Saturn. The van fit all 6 of us and his big customized walker perfectly. We were quite a sight picking him up but the smile on his face when he saw me, Braelyn, McKenzie, Ta'Ray, and Nan walk-in was worth it. (Wait 'til he sees the "Team Polk" shirts we've made for us to wear to church on Sunday!)

He's moving well. He's very sore, the pain is kicking in (we're still waiting for the prescriptions to get ready) and he says it's colder here than at the hospital but even so, he's really happy to be home. It's so nice, as the mom I guess, to have all of my family back under the same roof. I'm able to relax in a way that I couldn't when I felt we were all spread out and anchored to different places. Now, life is beginning to feel like "normal" - of course at the Polk house we're not real sure what that means.

We picked up some cheap, but warm, clothes for Harry. We have to cut the sleeves off of the hoodies to make room for his casts. He stays cold because of the blood thinner that he has to take (to prevent blood clots). Also, soft, loose house pants are a must because one of his incisions are right where the waist band of pants would fall. Plus they help keep him warm. Who knows...maybe his progressive fashion will catch on and we'll see this style being sported all over town.

Well, it's time to go out again and get that pain med for Harry. He'll be even happier when I get back. I'll try to fill you in on the rest sometime today....Harry keeps me running and now that we're home there's so much to catch up on between the kids, work and the house so if you don't hear from me right away you'll know why. Love to you all, Kristie

No comments: